The neighborhood of Rutland Park is one of Calgary’s best kept secrets. This small but growing inner-city community is tucked in between Crowchild Trail and 37th Street in the South West quadrant of Calgary. Its boundaries include Currie Barracks, Lincoln Park, and Richmond Green Golf Course. Redevelopment of the old CFB lands by Canada Lands is pending which will expand this neighborhood and its amenities.
Rutland Park was annexed to the City of Calgary in 1910 and was later developed in 1952 under the name Sarcee Park until the 1980s, when it became known as Rutland Park.
According to the City of Calgary Civic Census, the population of Rutland Park has remained virtually unchanged since 2004 and in 2008 was estimated to be at 2,270.
Lincoln Park is a neighbourhood in the southwest quadrant of Calgary, Alberta located north of Glenmore Trail and west of Crowchild Trail. Mount Royal University and the ATCO Industrial Park. The neighbourhood is located on the section of the former Canadian Forces Base Calgary that during World War II was a Royal Canadian Air Force airfield; the name of the district derives from a small area of military housing located between 54th Avenue S.W. and Glenmore Trail which was reserved for United States Air Force members stationed at the airfield during World War II.
The Canadian Army opened what was called the Currie Barracks on the southwestern edge of Calgary in 1933, occupying a property on the level plateau above the south slope of the Bow River valley. The facility was named after the recently deceased General Sir Arthur William Currie, commander of the Canadian Expeditionary Force on the Western Front during World War I.
Over the next decade, the facility would house a combination of personnel from the Royal Canadian Infantry Corps and Royal Canadian Army Service Corps, along with personnel from the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF).
During World War II, the Currie Barracks became an army training centre for units mobilized in southern Alberta; it was designated A-16. These mobilized units were tasked to provide reinforcements for The Calgary Highlanders and The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada.
Following the war in 1946, the Currie Barracks became home to Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) and 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry as part of Canada’s transition to having an expanded regular force army during the early years of the Cold War. The Currie Barracks underwent rapid expansion during the Korean War as the facility transformed into a major military centre, owing to its convenient access to the Canadian Pacific Railway’s transcontinental mainline to Vancouver three kilometres to the north. Headquarters Calgary Garrison was formed on October 26, 1950 in response to the need to coordinate the administration of army units stationed at and cycling through the Currie Barracks; thus the facility also began to use the names Calgary Garrison and Calgary Barracks.
This area is being developed into the residential neighbourhood of the same name that will celebrate and recognize its rich history through parks, monuments and street names.For more information on the development click here.
The upcoming development of Currie Barracks will have significant meaning to the communities of Rutland Park and Lincoln Park. Although the boundaries of Currie Barracks do not include Rutland park and Lincoln Park, as neighbours to this new community, we can look forward to the new and exciting elements the development will bring. The character of the Currie Barracks will reflect its history as a Canadian Forces Base and street names will commemorate significant battles fought by units stationed at the Currie Barracks. A network of streets, sidewalks, pathways and bikeways is intended as part of the overall plan along with parks and shopping areas.
In addition to the Currie Barracks development, the West leg of the Calgary LRT will provide yet another means of transportation for area residents. To see the planned route and status of the LRT stations, click here.